This is an easy and delicious vegan soup that is perfect for lunch when served with a side salad; or as a nourishing dinner – especially good on a chilly night.
Cooking time: 30 mins.
- nice glug of olive oil
- 2 cups red split lentils
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno or Serrano chilli with seeds, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. curry powder or Thai curry paste
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsps. salt
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 7 cups water
- 1 tin unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 15-oz. tin chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- fresh coriander & lime wedges for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeno. Cook 5-7 minutes until vegetables have softened and begin to colour.
- Add garlic, ginger, spices, tomato paste. Cook 2-3 minutes until evenly cooked and fragrant.
- Add water, coconut milk, lentils, chickpeas. Cook uncovered 20-25 minutes, adding the lime juice at the end of cooking.
- Taste and adjust seasoning – salt or more lime juice if desired.
- Serve topped with a sprinkling of fresh coriander and lime wedges on the side.